Here is a sampling of Brazil newspaper front pages after the 7-1 loss to Germany in the World Cup semifinals Tuesday.
(For four more front pages, go to related items.)
Vergonha means shame. vHEXAme plays off a word for humiliation (vexame) and the prefix hexa, meaning six, referring to the hoped-for sixth World Cup title.
- Photo: Brazil front pages
- "Shame"is the headline on the Belo Horizonte newspaper Hoje (Today)
- The newspaper Super uses a play on words to reflect Brazil's humiliating end to hopes for a sixth World Cup title.
- "Humiliation at Home " says the Sao Paolo newspaper O Estado (The State).
- The black front page of metro reflects Brazil's mood.
- And, going over the top, A Gazeta of Vitoria calls the result a massacre.
And it looks as if one newspaper drew inspiration from the headgear worn by New Orleans "Aints" fans when their team was a perennial loser.
Thanks to newseum.org for posting the front pages, as it does every day.