- O's take 'old school' approach with Arrieta
- Orioles part ways with crosschecker Hopkins
- Seong-Min Kim unsigned despite working out for O's
- Pictures: Orioles extra-inning wins in 2012
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
See more photos »
Roberts has not played in a major league game since last May, when he suffered his second concussion in eight months diving into first base in a game against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. He has endured a long and frustrating recovery period, and there still are plenty of questions to be answered when he finally gets on the field.
He has played just 98 regular season games over the past 2 1/2 seasons -- because of the concussions and a back injury in 2010 -- so it remains to be seen just how far back he will be able to come.
One thing is certain. Everybody will be rooting hard for him to make a successful comeback, and not just because of the tremendous impact that could have on the Orioles' uplifting 2012 season. He is a beloved player in Baltimore who has done great things both on the field and in the community. He deserves to put two years of discomfort and disappointment behind him.