The Orioles just decided that they are in the pennant race to stay.
- Orioles calling up Manny Machado from Double-A Bowie
- What Manny Machado's promotion means for the Orioles
- Timing of Machado announcement a calculated move
- Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado at the MLB Futures Game [Pictures]
- Peter Schmuck grades the Orioles
- Orioles in August 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
It should not go unnoticed that the O's also promoted top pitching prospect Dylan Bundy to Double-A Bowie last night. There have never been any announced plans to pitch him in the major leagues this year, but club officials have been hinting at a possible late-season call-up since spring training.
Machado is expected to start at third base tonight in the series opener against the Kansas City Royals. It is not his primary position, but he has been working out there recently and -- if he's ready for prime time -- could complete the important job of shoring up the Orioles' sketchy infield defense.
Bottom line: These were already exciting times at Camden Yards, and they just got a little more exciting.