Now, the IZOD IndyCar Series has decided not to race at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the 2012 season.
- Dan Wheldon's widow to be presented with Champion of Champions ring
- Fans to honor Dan Wheldon at Indy 500 with white sunglasses
- Fans to remember, celebrate Dan Wheldon during Race Day festivities
- Lionhart Car
- Dan Wheldon to be remembered on Indy 500 tickets
- Photos: Indy racing crash kills Dan Wheldon
See more photos »
- A Video Obituary To Dan Wheldon
- Remembering Dan Wheldon Through A 500 Movie
- IndyCar Drivers Mourn, Remember Dan Wheldon In Las Vegas
The series was scheduled to close the 2012 season in Las Vegas on October 14. However, IndyCar and Speedway officials said more testing with the new car is needed before the series will return to the Las Vegas track.
IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard released the following statement:
"We feel we need to give our technical team ample time to conduct thorough testing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, once we complete our ongoing investigation into the 15-car accident during the Oct. 16 race at the track."
The 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series opens March 25 with the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.