From Ravens coach John Harbaugh to kickers Billy Cundiff and Shayne Graham, the only consensus regarding the team’s kicking situation is that a decision won’t be made until Saturday at the earliest.
Until then, both kickers said they are unaware of the team’s plans for Sunday’s regular-season finale at the Cincinnati Bengals.
“I have no idea,” Cundiff said when asked about the decision-making process. “I’m not the decision-maker. So we’ll let the decision-makers decide, but I feel pretty good with where I’m at, and I’m in a much better spot than I’ve been in almost a month now.”
Said Graham: “Don’t really know what kind of expectations to have. We’ve both kicked at practice. I guess at this point, it’s all up to how he feels or what their decision is. I’m not really sure exactly. I plan on being ready if asked, but I’m sure he wants to get back in, and I’m sure they’ll figure it out. That’s not in my control anymore. At this point, if I do get to play, I look forward to it. It’ll be a great opportunity for me. But if he plays, I hope he’s rested enough, and I hope he does well.”
Cundiff was limited in practice for the third consecutive day and was listed as questionable for Sunday’s contest. Harbaugh sounded as if the Ravens would proceed with caution before making any rash decision due to the tenuous health of Cundiff’s balky left calf.
“It’s an injury situation,” Harbaugh said. “So you always want to see how things respond. Of course, Billy did some kicking yesterday. So we’ll just have to see.”
Cundiff, who sat out last Saturday’s win against the Cleveland Browns, admitted that he would be less than pleased if he was asked to miss another game.
“Yeah, I would be disappointed because I’d like to play,” he said. “It was tough for me to watch last week, and I’ve been doing the most I possibly can to get ready to play. So I hope that helps.”
Graham, who connected on field goals of 48 and 43 yards against the Browns, is aware that Harbaugh has already stated that the team will not carry two kickers if Cundiff is available. But Graham said he won’t complain if the Ravens elect to go with Cundiff against the Bengals.
“[M]y job has been to come in here and fill in while he’s hurt,” Graham said. “If he’s not 100 percent or they decide he’s not 100 percent or whatever, then I’m ready to go. And if he’s ready, I’ll cheer him on.”