Smith is being counted on to increase his contribution as the most accomplished downfield target from last season left for quarterback Joe Flacco.
- Impact of Pitta's loss will be far-reaching, NFL experts say
- Ravens rookie Ryan Jensen broke foot, to undergo surgery soon
- Ravens preseason opener against San Francisco 49ers [Pictures]
- 2014 Ravens cheerleaders [Pictures]
- Ravens training camp [Pictures]
- 2013 Ravens cheerleaders [Pictures]
See more photos »
“Pitta, it's an unfortunate injury. We are going to miss him out there. We have a next man up mentality. I think we have some guys who are ready.”
And Smith downplayed the notion that the offense would be dramatically altered from a strategic standpoint without Pitta.
“I think that it's kind of overrated,” said Smith, who caught 49 passes last season for 855 yards and eight touchdowns. “Pitta was definitely Joe's security blanket a lot of key points. Someone is down, the next one has to step up. Guys get hurt each and every day in this league.”