Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith was fined $7,875 by the NFL for unnecessary roughness, a punishment stemming from a penalty during the 49-27 loss to the Denver Broncos in Week 1.
Smith said he'll appeal the fine, the same amount that Ravens center Gino Gradkowski was fined for a different unnecessary roughness flag.
"Absolutely, I'm appealing it," Smith said. "It's unfair for them to fine you that much money. I don't know who makes up the fine system, but I don't think it's necessarily fair at all. I pushed him on the shoulder and he fell.
- Full coverage: Baltimore Ravens
- Ravens 38, Carolina Panthers 10 [Pictures]
- Mike Preston grades the Ravens' 38-10 win over the Panthers in Week 4
- 2014 Ravens cheerleaders [Pictures]
- Five Things We Learned from the Ravens' 38-10 win over the Carolina Panthers
- Ravens 23, Cleveland Browns 21 [Pictures]
See more photos »
"This was before the whistle. On the whistle, he landed. Technically, the play's not over. I can do that, and they still fined me for it. I guess it's just my 'unnecessary roughness.' I'm appealing it, and I should win."