The Ravens officially placed tight end Dennis Pitta on the injured reserve-designated to return list Wednesday and re-signed tight end Billy Bajema to fill his roster spot.
The team hopes Pitta could potentially make a late-season return, with the short-term injured reserve option leaving him eligible for that scenario. The first day they could have used the designation was Tuesday.
The team reviewed the medical outlook for Pitta on Wednesday before making the final call to use the designation on Pitta.
- Full coverage: Baltimore Ravens
- Ravens 26, Pittsburgh Steelers 6 [Pictures]
- Mike Preston grades the Ravens' 26-6 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 2
- Five Things We Learned from the Ravens' 26-6 win over the Steelers
- Cincinnati Bengals 23, Ravens 16 [Pictures]
- 2014 Ravens cheerleaders [Pictures]
See more photos »
Bajema, an eight-year veteran who appeared in eight games last season with the Ravens, was cut Saturday as the team looked to get down to 53 players by the NFL's deadline. Bajema is known for his blocking presence.
The Ravens also have tight ends Ed Dickson and Dallas Clark on the roster.
Dickson has recovered from a partially torn right hamstring that sidelined him during the preseason.
A former Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers stater, Clark was signed to a one-year, $1.005 million contract in August.