Try digitalPLUS for 10 days for only $0.99
Ravens Insider

Harbaugh says Ray Rice, fiancee to attend couples seminar following incident

The Baltimore Sun

Ravens running back Ray Rice and his fiancee plan to attend a couples seminar as they continue to work on their relationship following a physical altercation between them in February at an Atlantic City casino, according to coach John Harbaugh.

Rice and Janay Palmer were both arrested and charged with simple assault-domestic violence in February. The couple remains engaged to be married, according to Harbaugh.

Harbaugh said that Rice's account of what transpired between him and the mother of his child has remained the same and has matched up with the information the team has gathered about the pending legal situation.

"I've talked to Ray a lot, and really nothing to add other than what's been said already: The facts will determine the consequences, and we'll see where it goes," Harbaugh said today at a press conference for tight end Dennis Pitta to discuss his five-year, $32 million contract. "I haven't seen anything different, just like you haven't seen anything different. Ray has told me his side of it, and everything we've seen so far is very consistent with what he said.

"There's nothing he has said that hasn't turned out to be the case. I know Ray is going to spend a week at a seminar type of thing as a couples type deal. He's doing everything he can to do what he needs to do and make things right."

Atlantic City police have said they asked the county prosecutor's office to review the case and "ensure appropriate charges are considered." That review is ongoing, officials with the Atlantic County Office of the Prosecutor said Wednesday.

The NFL will review what happened under the league's personal-conduct policy.

At the NFL scouting combine in February, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome addressed the TMZ video that shows Rice dragging an unconcious Palmer from an elevator at Revel Casino, characterizing it as a troubling image.

Newsome said that he was encouraged that Rice and his fiancee are in counseling.

“I did [watch the video] online, just like everybody else did, and it doesn't look good,” Newsome said Saturday at the NFL scouting combine. “But I will reserve all of my comments until I get a chance to talk to Ray. The whole video needs to be reviewed. I don’t know if a different story is going to come out. The video is what it is. Up until the process runs its course, we, as an organization, will stand down.

"In any of those situations, it’s very concerning, but up until we get all of the facts, we will allow the process run its course. .. Right now, I feel very good about his side of the story, but I also feel very good about what he has done since that to help himself to not allow himself to get in a situation like that again."

Baltimore Sun reporter Justin George contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun