As Lewis walked out onto the practice field and pulled his purple No. 9 practice jersey -- worn in honor of the late Steve McNair -- over his gray hooded sweatshirt, his teammates clapped and cat-called the 36-year-old.
- Lewis: 'Your faces are the ones that keep me going'
- Ravens Insider: Webb misses Wednesday's practice
- Ravens Q&A with veteran running back Ricky Williams
- Ravens preseason opener against San Francisco 49ers [Pictures]
- 2014 Ravens cheerleaders [Pictures]
- Ravens training camp [Pictures]
See more photos »
“Ray is different probably than most guys so I think Ray could get out there and play without practicing,” said Harbaugh, who didn’t tip his hand about Lewis practicing. “If he didn’t practice, he could play on Sunday.”
At a charity event Tuesday, Lewis told reporters that he is optimistic that he will return before season’s end.
"I'm feeling way better," Lewis said. "Way better. I thought I had a good chance the last four weeks to play, but the coaches are going to make those decisions. They're just being smart. I don't mind being smart. The warrior side of me of course is always going to want to get back out there."