Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith returned to the team shortly after the death of his brother and contributed heavily to the team's victory over the New England Patriots. (Kenneth K. Lam/Baltimore Sun video)

Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith jogged by himself up and down the sideline Sunday night at M&T Bank Stadium, a solemn moment for him following the death of his younger brother.

It was a solitary time for Smith shortly after rejoining his teammates four hours before kickoff against the New England Patriots.

And it was less than 18 hours after Smith learned that his brother, Tevin Jones, had died when his motorcycle struck a utility pole in the Montross area of Virginia, Westmoreland County Sheriff C.O. Balderson told The Baltimore Sun.

After wiping a tear away from his eye before the first quarter, Smith, who had traveled to Virginia early Sunday morning to be with his family prior to returning to Baltimore for the game, went to work on the Patriots' defense. By the second quarter, a visibly emotional Smith was pointing toward the sky after grabbing a  25-yard touchdown.

Jones, who was 19 years old, grew up being nurtured and mentored by his brother who led the Ravens with six receptions for 127 yards and two touchdowns.

"It was tough emotionally," Smith said afterward. "I didn't know how I would hold up. I was telling my teammates a minute ago that this is new territory for me personally. I never really had to deal with a death in the family, let alone my brother. It's part of life and, due to my teammates and my family and friends, I'll be able to get over it.

"Obviously, you play with a heavy heart. You want to play for that person. My mom, all my family, they didn't even know I was going to play until the last minute. She was like, 'Of course, he'd want you to play.' He admired me so much, and it's just a tough situation altogether."

According to Virginia State Police Sgt. Thomas J. Molnar, state police responded to the crash just before midnight on Route 672 Chatham Lane a half-mile west of Route 645 Zacata Road in Westmoreland County.

Jones’ 2006 Yamaha YZF-R1 was traveling eastbound on Route 672 when he ran off the right side of the roadway and struck a utility pole, according to police.

Although he was wearing a helmet, police said Jones died at the scene.

“Alcohol is not a factor in the crash,” Molnar said. “The crash remains under investigation.”

Smith first mentioned his brother's death on his Twitter account Sunday morning.

“I can't believe my little brother is gone,” Smith wrote. “Be thankful for your loved ones and tell them you love them. .. This is the hardest thing ever.”

Smith posted a photograph of himself and his brother, also writing: “I can't say a bad thing about him...proud to have him as a brother...RIP Tevin.”

The Ravens left the decision on whether to play up to Smith, who set franchise rookie records last season with 50 receptions for 841 yards and seven touchdowns. Smith opted to play and started.

Before the game, the Ravens observed a moment of silence for Jones.

"Torrey is a great, great young man," coach John Harbaugh said. "We dedicate that victory to Tevin and to the whole family. When Torrey said he wanted to play, then the decision was finished. Obviously, he's a pretty special guy."

After his second touchdown, Smith knelt in the end zone and said a prayer.

Smith said he gathered strength from being around his teammates.

"My teammates, they keep you focused," Smith said. "I didn't want to be out there, just running around, doing nothing. If I was going to be out there, I was going to give it my all. You're on the lines, you just want to make the play.