"I felt like I hit it pretty solid, I probably just turned on it a little bit. It's just one of those things," said kicker Justin Tucker. (Kevin Richardson/Baltimore Sun)

Something highly unusual happened Sunday involving Ravens kicker Justin Tucker.

He missed a field-goal attempt for the first time in months.

Tucker's 37-yard try sailed wide left during the fourth quarter of the Ravens’ 41-7 loss to the New England Patriots at M&T Bank Stadium, ending the NFL’s longest active streak at 33 consecutive field goals.

This marks the first time that Tucker has missed a kick since misfiring twice during a Sept. 15 home game against the Cleveland Browns.

“Just to put it simply, I missed the ball,” Tucker said after the fourth-longest streak in NFL history was over. “I didn’t hit it. I was kind of struggling with foot-to-ball contact throughout the day on the sideline warming up and before the game. Usually, I can just kind of grind through. At the end of the day, you got to be a little disappointed with the result."

Tucker entered the game having connected on 35 of 37 field-goal attempts.

His streak was the longest in Ravens franchise history since Matt Stover hit 36 field goals in a row during the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Based on how he reacted to his last errant kicks, Tucker expressed confidence that he’ll move on quickly from this setback and get back to making field goals.

“I’ve got experiences personally I can draw on where I struggled in one game and I had a couple of misses,” Tucker said. “Just like anybody else in here, the focus is on next week, bouncing back and giving ourselves the best chance we can to make a run at this thing and make sure we’re playing football in January.”

Tucker said he wasn’t caught off-guard by being asked to kick a field goal on fourth down in the fourth quarter with the Ravens trailing 20-0.

“No, we’re always prepared to go out there at any point of the game,” Tucker said. “It doesn’t matter. We always commit to the same routine.”

Prone to penalties

The Ravens were penalized nine times for 83 yards, twice more than the Patriots as New England was flagged seven times for 58 yards.

“I’m not even going to address the referees,” strong safety James Ihedigbo said. “That’s for the NFL, for the league to discuss. They hire the refs. They put them in games. What it boils down to is we didn’t play our best football.”

The most costly penalty was a 34-yard pass interference penalty on cornerback Jimmy Smith in the first quarter that led to a short touchdown pass by Tom Brady. Replays clearly showed Smith impeded wide receiver Julian Edelman from running his route. He declined to be interviewed after the game.

“It was tough,” cornerback Corey Graham said. “It seemed like a lot of calls went their way. You still got to go out there and play ball and find a way to make plays. They made more plays than us.”

Concussion feared for A. Jones; other injury updates

Defensive end Arthur Jones left the game with concussion symptoms and didn’t return.

Jones will go through the standard NFL concussion protocol.

Jones also lost to his younger brother, Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones, for the first time after beating him twice last season.

"Despite my brother getting banged up a little bit, it felt good to get a win over him," Chandler Jones said. "We knew it was going to be a tough game."