There are a number of scenarios that will be played out now that Flacco has agreed to terms. It was the final domino to set things in motion.
Until the contract is turned into the league and all the fine print is read, we don't know how much it will affect the Ravens' salary cap, but the team might not have to release veterans like wide receiver Anquan Boldin or fullback Vonta Leach, or restructure deals for outside linebacker Terrell Suggs and defensive tackle Haloti Ngata.
You have to be careful with players like Boldin or Leach. They are tough guys who have just as much value in the locker room as they have on the field.
- Bio | E-mail | Recent columns
- Joe Flacco's record contract puts agent Joe Linta in spotlight
- Looking at the NFL's highest-paid QBs [Pictures]
- Ravens, Joe Flacco agree to terms on new contract
- Ravens 29, Minnesota Vikings 26 [Pictures]
- Mike Preston grades the Ravens' 29-26 win over the Minnesota Vikings
- Five Things We Learned from the Ravens' 29-26 win over the Vikings
See more photos »
As for restructuring the contracts of Suggs or Ngata, both would be risks because reworking their deals would cost a lot of upfront money for players whose bodies are breaking down.
Before the Flacco deal, we were seemingly light years away from seeing some of these things unfold. We just waited and waited and waited.
But now the time is here.
An above average Joe is elite and the big picture should become a lot clearer soon.