Sommerhof said fans took four or five games to get used to the security pat-downs added in 2001. “It'll take a little time,” he said of the adjustment to this year's new rules.
Other items not allowed in the stadium include coolers, briefcases, seat cushions and camera bags. The ban does not cover handheld items such as cellphones, cameras or blankets; it only prevents them from being carried in nontransparent bags.
Fans who need bags for medical reasons will be able to go to a separate entrance to have them searched.
- VIDEO: NFL's new security policy for Ravens games
- Acceptable bags under NFL's new security guidelines [Pictures]
- Ravens officially sign Dallas Clark to 1-year deal, cut Gary Walker
- Ravens' open practice at M&T Bank Stadium [Pictures]
- 2013 Ravens training camp [Pictures]
- Ravens training camp stock watch (Week 3)
See more photos »
The new policy won't have an impact on tailgating, as coolers and bags still will be allowed in parking lots.
Efficiency wasn't the word Kamasinski had in mind for her experience Sunday. But she said she understands the reason for the new rules and won't be dissuaded from attending future games.
“I get it,” she said. “After the Boston Marathon, you have to be a little more secure.”
She'll be more prepared the next time. “Now,” she said, “I know I have to make my husband into a diaper bag.”
New NFL bag rules
- Beginning with preseason games, fans will be able to carry the following style and size of bag, package or container at stadium plaza areas, stadium gates or when approaching queue lines of fans awaiting entry into the stadium:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches.
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium with one of the clear plastic bags.
What's not allowed:
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:
- Purses larger than a clutch bag
- Backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags
- Seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags, and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.