Like a lot of people in Baltimore, I watched San Francisco 49ers receiver Anquan Boldin play a great game against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, but I'm not sure he would be that effective with the Ravens this season.
I won't challenge the strength in his hands. He catches anything thrown near him.
But in San Francisco, he has quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Because of Kaepernick's running ability, most teams play zone against him and that helps Boldin. He is able to find the holes and creases in zones as he did Sunday against the Packers.
- Joe Flacco struggled on shorter throws against Denver
- John Harbaugh honored by new 4-year contract extension
- How the 2013 Ravens departures fared in Week 1
- Ravens 22, Pittsburgh Steelers 20 [Pictures]
- Mike Preston grades the Ravens' 22-20 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Five Things We Learned from the Ravens' 22-20 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers
See more photos »
Here in Baltimore with Joe Flacco as quarterback, the Ravens would probably see more man to man defense because Flacco isn't a scrambler. When most teams pressed up on Boldin last season, especially big cornerbacks, he couldn't get separation.
Regardless, he is still effective and would be a plus for the Ravens who are suffering in the passing game. But I'm not sure he would have the same success as he did yesterday against the Packers.