In the end, Shawn Michaels chose his best friend over his student.
HBK tuned up the band and hit his struggling former pupil, Daniel Bryan, with Sweet Chin Music, allowing Randy Orton to secure the WWE championship.
Is this rivalry over? Not by a long shot - eventually Bryan will enjoy a long WWE championship run. Just not today.
There are legs in the good guy, Bryan, the guy constantly pushed down and berated by the Triple H regime, chasing and finally, eventually, getting his due.
In the other Hell in a Cell Match of the evening, CM Punk finally got his ultimate revenge on Paul Heyman, defeated Ryback and the "Paulrus" before beating him up high atop the cage. I sincerely hope this is the end of this rivalry and both parties move on.
For the 15th time in WWE history, a new WWE champion and World Heavyweight champion were crowned - in his first match back after elbow surgery, John Cena defeated Alberto Del Rio and became World Heavyweight champion, his 14th World Title, surpassing Triple H (13) and two shy of Ric Flair (16 officially on the books).
This to me is a good move, as Cena now brings prestige back to that title and will likely appear regularly on Smackdown, rejuvenating that program which has long been in need of fresh blood.
- AJ Lee defeated Brie Bella by submission, retaining her Divas title
- Big E Langston defeated Dean Ambrose by countout. This match didn't seem to really get off the ground and wasn't well received by the audience in attendance. To be fair, Langston was supposed to face Curtis Axel, but he became not medically cleared to compete due to injury
- Los Matadores defeated the Real Americans, while Team Rhodes successfully defended their titles against the Shield and the Usos - hey, at least tag teams that are packaged and presented as tag teams competed in two different matches tonight! Glad to see tag team competition is at least seemingly getting a reboot.
- Fandango and Summer Rae beat Great Khali and Natalya
- Kane returned to lay out the Wyatt Family. I am still on the Wyatt's train and they can do no wrong right now.
- In the pre show, Damien Sandow defeated Kofi Kingston.
Follow Arda on Twitter, @arda_ocal