There was a time before the three heart attacks, before he was effectively paralyzed in the lower half of his left leg, when Army Spc. Stephen Ramsey wouldn't do much on his Georgia farm other than pick cotton and peanuts, and hunt.

Actually, he can still remember the first time he went hunting. He watched a commercial on television, turned to his grandfather and told him he wanted to hunt deer.

The next day, the two sat silently in the deer stand and, in the glow of the sunrise, they watched turkeys and other small animals move past them until, finally, Ramsey spotted a deer. His grandfather held the Winchester .30-.30 rifle steady as Ramsey squeezed the trigger.

That was back home in Albany, Ga., the birthplace of Ray Charles, a place where Ramsey said the hunting was so good, "It was like nothing you can ever …"

His voice trailed off. You can't hoist yourself up into a deer stand with a bum leg.

Ramsey hunted everything he could in Albany — hogs, deer, small game, birds, turkey.

"I did it all," he said.

There came a time, though, when Ramsey decided he wanted something more than the life of a self-described redneck. He enlisted in the Army as a supply truck driver — what he calls the greatest decision of his life.

Before deploying, his wife gave him a gift, a bow for hunting, and though Ramsey had never been bowhunting before, he outfitted the bow with sights and a new string, and took it out on a hunt.

As Ramsey recalls, a deer appeared in the clearing. Ramsey drew back the string. He heard a pop — the string had snapped.

Ramsey took the bow for repairs, but before he could retrieve it the next day, he received a call to report to Fort Stewart, Ga., within 24 hours.

Ramsey was deployed to Iraq in late 2010. In May 2011, seven months after his arrival in the country, something happened that he still won't talk about.

Hunting events for veterans

Five years before Ramsey was flown out of Iraq on a medevac helicopter, before he languished with such debilitating post-traumatic stress that he wouldn't leave his house, two Maryland men had an idea.

Mark Hoke, a hunting guide, had already worked with Cody Kittleman to host hunting outings for people with disabilities on Kittleman's farm in West Friendship.

Working with Walter Reed Army Medical Center, they decided to hold a hunting event specifically for wounded warriors.

On that first hunt, 30 veterans showed up, and Hoke and Kittleman fed them breakfast while they hunted on crop permits in Kittleman's sunflower fields and other neighboring farms. That hunt was the beginning of what became known as Operation No Person Left Behind (NPLB), now a part of the nonprofit Operation Second Chance.

"There are vets out there who have really seen some terrible, terrible things, and it takes them a long time to open up," Kittleman said. "This is why these programs are so important, because one day they have to be part of society again, and they can't be just sitting somewhere quietly and doing nothing."

Today, NPLB holds about 20 events each year in Maryland and has also sent veterans to places such as Florida for fishing trips. Hunting is the common bond, but most of the veterans never went hunting before NPLB.