Summer Savings! Get unlimited digital access for 13 weeks for $13.
Orioles
Sports Orioles

MRA shows no additional damage on Scott's shoulder

BOSTON —Luke Scott got positive news on the state of his right shoulder, as an MRA — an MRI with dye injected into the shoulder — showed no additional damage to his partially-torn labrum.

"It's obviously great news," said Scott who was placed on the disabled list on Tuesday. "Now, the question is, 'Will I be able to perform like I want to?' That becomes the question. 'What do I have to do to get there?' I want to do something to help this team."

Scott, who has been battling shoulder issues all year, will see team orthopedist Dr. John Wilckens on Monday and likely get another cortisone shot in his shoulder. Orioles manager Buck Showalter is hopeful that Scott will be available when he's eligible to come off the disabled list on June 19.

"So far, I'm perceiving and expecting him to be there after the DL period and be ready to go," Showalter said.

Scott, who has started 56 of the Orioles' 86 games this year, is batting .223 with nine homers and 22 RBIs in 206 at-bats after homering a career-high 27 times last year.

A previous MRI on Scott's shoulder showed the tear, and he received a cortisone injection in June that alleviated some of the pain. But he aggravated the injury — and also bruised his right knee — when he running into the left-field wall to take away a homer June 28 atCamden Yards.

Scott has said all along that he is against having surgery, and he'd prefer to rest and rehab the injury and strengthen the muscles around the labrum. That will remain the plan for the time being.

"That's what I'm hoping for, I really am," Scott said. "We'll see if I could get the bat head to the ball. Taking batting practice the second day in Atlanta and when I was in Texas, it was a struggle to get the bat head to the ball in batting practice. I need to do something to get this thing strong enough where I can compete."

Simon's rotation return

Through all his trials and tribulations, Orioles right-hander Alfredo Simon hasn't forgotten what happened when he made his last start.

On April 14, 2009, Simon blew out his elbow while starting against the Texas Rangers, exiting the game after just 1 1/3 innings with discomfort in his throwing arm and legitimate concerns about his baseball future. Simon eventually had ligament-replacement surgery, missing the rest of that season before returning the following year as a reliever.

He's made 56 consecutive relief appearances since his last start, but that streak will end Saturday when Simon starts against the Boston Red Sox.

"I hurt my elbow that year, but now I'm ready to go," Simon said when asked about the memories of his last start. "I just feel healthy, so I got to do the best I can to win the game. I think I can go like six, seven innings depending on how the game goes. But I don't know if I'm going to be the one to determine [that]. "

Showalter hasn't committed to his post All-Star break rotation, so for now Simon will make one start in the rotation spot that had been occupied by struggling right-hander Chris Jakubauskas. In seven relief appearances this season spanning 21 1/3 innings, Simon has allowed 11 earned runs on 25 hits and seven walks.

The big right-hander, whose season got off to a late start while he was imprisoned in his native Dominican Republic as the lead suspect in a fatal New Year's Day shooting, has not pitched more than 4 2/3 innings in any of his outings this season.

"I just try to work hard every day and get strong," Simon said. "I know I'm a long reliever and I'm going to throw a lot of innings, so right now I feel like I'm ready to go to be a starter. I can go like six, seven innings."

Bundy keeping options open

Oklahoma prep pitcher Dylan Bundy, whom the Orioles drafted fourth overall in last month's First Year Player Draft, has signed a letter of intent to play baseball at Eastern Oklahoma State College, according to the Tulsa World.

While the move has no bearing on the Orioles' negotiations with the pitcher, his father, Denver Bundy, told the newspaper that the decision provides another option for his son if he fails to sign with the Orioles by the Aug. 16 deadline.

Denver Bundy told the newspaper that it's "50-50" on whether his son, who also has accepted a scholarship to play for the University of Texas, will sign with the Orioles.

In other draft news, the Orioles have agreed to terms with 10th-round pick Tyler Wilson, a right-handed pitcher who went 10-0 with a 2.24 ERA for the University of Virginia this past season. With Wilson in the fold, the Orioles have agreed to terms with 15 of their top 50 picks, including six of their top 10.

Around the horn

Orioles right-hander Mitch Atkins will start Sunday's first-half finale opposite Red Sox right-hander Kyle Weiland, who will be making his first Major League start. Weiland is 8-6 with a 3.00 ERA in 17 starts for Triple-A Pawtucket. He's taking the injured Jon Lester's spot in the rotation ... Showalter said Jeremy Guthrie will available out of the bullpen Sunday … Since June 1, the Orioles lead the majors with 47 home runs … Single-A Frederick shortstop Manny Machado was named the fifth best prospect in Baseball American's Midseason Top 50.

jeff.zrebiec@baltsun.com

Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun
Comments
Loading
88°