With Guthrie unable to pitch in the sixth, the Blue Jays scored twice against reliever Jim Johnson, who allowed four singles and was also burned by an error from Ryan Adams. With a runner on first and no outs, Yunel Escobar hit a grounder that bounced out of the rookie second baseman's glove.
- Orioles place reliever Simon on DL, recall Berken
- Knight (Boys' Latin) and Velleggia (Calvert Hall) look to make their mark with IronBirds
- After 2,500th hit, Guerrero could be relegated to pinch hitter
- Orioles in August 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
- Orioles in July 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
Rogers Centre, 1 Blue Jays Way, Toronto, ON M5V 1J1, Canada
The score remained tied until the top of the ninth, when pinch runner Nolan Reimold scored from third on a slow hopper to third byDerrek Lee.
Third baseman Jayson Nix attempted to throw out Reimold, who had pinch-run for Guerrero, but Reimold sneaked under the tag by Toronto catcherJ.P. Arencibia.
Adams picked up his first career RBI with a bases-loaded single up the middle. Blue Jays relievers Jon Rauch (2-3) and Luis Perez did not retire any of the five batters they faced in the ninth.
"I'm so proud of Adams getting a big knock for us there," Showalter said. "I thought that was impressive."
It was a needed insurance run to guarantee the Orioles their first victory here in 22 months.
"It's always nice to get that out of the way," Hardy said. "It's something we're not thinking about out there on the field, but it's always nice to get a win when you know that's going on."