He felt a twinge in his lower back early in camp, but said that he was never concerned that it was anything serious.
"I've had it before,'' he said, "so I knew exactly what I needed to do."
Gausman's sweet sacrifice
- VIDEO: Orioles report with Peter Schmuck & Eduardo Encina
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- After signing Ubaldo Jimenez, there's no reason for Dan Duquette and Orioles to stop now
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
- Orioles wearing throwback uniforms [Pictures]
See more photos »
Top pitching prospect Kevin Gausman light-heartedly confirmed yesterday that he is "off donuts,'' so it's probably good that his teammates did not repeat last year's prank and fill his locker with hundreds of them.
Gausman's quirky claim to fame when he arrived from LSU was his habit of eating several small donuts between innings during his college starts.
"I didn't do that last year,'' Gausman said. "I had to cycle off. Originally, it was like four every inning. Now it's four every day. Next week it'll be three. Eventually, I'll be clean."
Around the horn
Thursday's workout included pitchers field practice drills that included work on bunt plays and comebackers. … The pitchers who threw bullpens on Thursday were Norris, Darren O'Day, Tommy Hunter, Evan Meek, Ryan Webb, Troy Patton, Wei-Yin Chen, Zach Britton, Brad Brach, T.J. McFarland, Tim Alderson, Brock Huntzinger, Nick Additon and Tim Berry.