NEW YORK -- The Orioles were taking early batting practice before tonight's series opener against the Yankees, and those participating has given a little insight into some of the September call-ups.
Outfielder Xavier Avery and catcher Luis Exposito were with the team participating in early batting practice. Both will likely be added to the Orioles roster when it expands tomorrow.
Both are already on the organization's 40-man roster.
- Orioles pictures: August
- A new concept: Wolf chooses Orioles because he wants to win
- After another win, the 'Really?' Orioles head to New York with a chance to pull even in AL East
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
See more photos »
The 22-year-old Avery made a splash earlier this season when he was called up to play left field and lead off, hitting .233/.317/.356 in 24 big league games. At Triple-A Norfolk, he hit .236/.330/.356 with eight homers and 34 RBIs and 22 stolen bases in 30 attempts.
Exposito, who will serve as the club's third catcher for the stretch run, also made his major league debut earlier this season, going 1-for-17 in eight games. He hit .268/.326/.420 in 55 games at Norfolk.
Players have a one-day window in which they can join the team before they can be activated.
The team hasn't officially announced it has added left-hander Randy Wolf, but he will be activated today before the game.
Ryan Flaherty and Lew Ford were also participating in early batting practice.