Orioles catcher Matt Wieters says if there have been contract extension talks between the Orioles and his agent, Scott Boras, he doesn’t know about them. And he won’t unless Boras thinks things are getting close.
“I told Scott that I am leaving that in the hands of my agent and right now I am focused on playing this year,” Wieters said. “And I told him to make me aware if it comes down to making a decision. Then I’ll ask Scott’s advice and go from there. But right now I am just focused on playing baseball and I’m going to let any negotiations stay behind the scenes.”
CBSSports.com reported Wednesday that the Orioles have reached out to Boras about a Wieters’ extension, which is at least five years in length. The report said it is not believed the sides are close to a deal.
Neither Boras nor Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette returned calls Wednesday night.
Wieters, who cannot be a free agent until after the 2015 season, has said repeatedly that he would like to stay with the Orioles long-term, but he is not concerned about that.
When asked yesterday if he knew of any offer, Wieters, who makes $5.5 million this season, said, “No, and that’s (the way it will be) up until it gets close. I won’t even be in there.”
Wieters, 26, is a two-time All Star and two-time Gold Glover who is widely viewed, along with outfielders Adam Jones and Nick Markakis, as the leader of the Orioles. Jones signed an $85.5 million extension last year that will keep him under club control through 2018. Markakis is signed through 2014 with a club option for 2015.
Several young players throughout the sport have signed extensions recently including San Francisco Giants catcher and NL MVP Buster Posey, who agreed to a nine-year, $167 million extension.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun