• Reuters Team Report credits the Orioles with a bold move in calling up highly-touted prospect Manny Machado last week:
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
- Peter Schmuck's Orioles player predictions
- Orioles FanFest 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
First, it indicates how poor the club's third basemen have played this season. Second, Machado's promotion is indicative of the trust the organization has in the top prospect, who has been compared to Yankees' slugger Alex Rodriguez since he was drafted third overall in 2010.
Finally, it shows the Orioles are willing to throw caution aside in order to win now.
• CBS Sports also touts the 20-year-old Machado as a rookie who has wasted no time fitting in with the pennant-contending O's:
Welcome to the big leagues, Manny Machado. For months, the list of youngest players in the major leagues began like this: 1. Bryce Harper, 2. Mike Trout. Then the Orioles called up (Machado), who is three months older than Harper and 11 months younger than Trout. And who, based on his first four days in the big leagues, can fit in quite comfortably with both of them in terms of excitement generated.
In his first game, Machado had a single, a triple and a standing ovation. In his second game, he had two home runs, another standing ovation and a curtain call. By Sunday when he homered again, Orioles fans were greeting him in every at-bat with chants of 'Man-ny! Man-ny!'
• Also swept up in Manny Fever, ESPN.com has the surging 62-53 Orioles at No. 15 in this week's power rankings, after ranking the team at No. 16 the past three weeks:
The fairy tale season continues for the O's, who promoted prospect Manny Machado directly from Double-A Bowie and were rewarded with a 5-for-12 debut series (including three homers).
Next up, Baltimore has a chance to deal a serious blow to Boston's playoff hopes for a second straight season, then heads to Detroit for an important series against the Tigers.