The Orioles received some good news regarding outfielder Nick Markakis' injured right wrist, but how long the club might be without their Gold Glove right fielder, if at all, is unclear.
X-rays taken of Markakis' wrist were negative and Markakis is scheduled to see a hand specialist in Florida during Thursday's off day in Tampa Bay, Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said Wednesday afternoon.
- Orioles RF Nick Markakis' right wrist to be re-evaluated Wednesday
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles home run database
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' 25-man roster for 2014 Opening Day
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
See more photos »
That would indicate that Markakis will miss tonight's series finale in Toronto, but this is Markakis, who has missed just 10 total games over the past five seasons.
Markakis injured the wrist taking a swing in his final at bat of the Orioles' 8-6 loss to the Blue Jays at the Rogers Centre on Tuesday night. Orioles manager Buck Showalter showed serious concern for the injury following the game, especially considering the Orioles have eight players currently on the disabled list.
Markakis is batting .256/.333/.452 with eight homers and 26 RBIs in 50 games this season while exclusively hitting from the No. 3 spot in the batting order.