Lee MacPhail Jr., the Hall of Fame baseball executive, died Friday at age 95, roughly a year after Andy stepped down from the Orioles.
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles home run database
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' 25-man roster for 2014 Opening Day
See more photos »
Only once did I meet Lee MacPhail, who was the Orioles' general manager from 1959 to 1965 and helped to lay the foundation for the Orioles' championship clubs of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
But I did have the opportunity to watch a few innings of a spring training game in 2008 with him, Andy and Lee's grandson (and Andy's nephew), Lee IV, in Fort Lauderdale. That day will stick with me for a while.
Here is the piece from that sun-soaked afternoon.