SARASOTA, FLA. -- Orioles top position player prospect Jonathan Schoop made a quick impression today in the team’s first intrasquad game.
Schoop hit a two-run homer to left field on the first pitch he saw from right-hander Steve Johnson in the top of the second inning to give the visiting team a 2-0 lead.
Schoop’s blast landed in the left field picnic area, a common landing spot for home run balls during spring training because of the wind that routinely blows out to left field.
- The excitement of Orioles spring training [VIDEO]
- Buck Showalter feels bad that Josh Hart's homework assignment on Frank Robinson went national
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
See more photos »
Other than that, starters Kevin Gausman and Brian Matusz both posted scoreless first innings, with each allowing a single. Steve Clevenger singled off Gausman and Ryan Flaherty singled off Matusz.
Brock Huntzinger, Ryan Webb and Mike Wright have each pitched perfect innings.
Nick Markakis hit a two-out single to right field in the bottom of the fourth off Eduardo Rodriguez, but right fielder Henry Urrutia threw out Julio Borbon at the plate with a throw that was slightly off line but early enough for Clevenger to make the tag.