Paced by several Oriole farmhands and led by Double-A Bowie manager Gary Kendall, the Surprise Saguaros won the Arizona Fall League championship on Saturday in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez, the organization’s top left-handed prospect, started the game for the Saguaros and allowed just two hits while striking out four in three scoreless innings as Surprise won, 2-0, over Mesa.
Cuban outfielder Henry Urrutia, who made it the majors this year for the Orioles, had two doubles and scored the Saguaros’ first run in what has been an outstanding fall season for Urrutia.
- Addition by subtraction wouldn't make sense for Orioles
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
- Peter Schmuck's Orioles player predictions
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Infielder Jonathan Schoop scored the other run for Surprise, and lefty Tim Berry threw one scoreless inning while pitching out of a bases-loaded jam in the sixth.
It was Surprise’s first AFL championship since 1995.