Brian Roberts, who has never appeared in a playoff game in his lengthy his career, did his part in the fourth inning Friday night to bring a playoff atmosphere to Camden Yards.
Facing the Oakland A’s, whom the Orioles trail by three games for the second AL wild-card berth, Roberts gave his team the lead in the fourth inning with the sixth grand slam of his career, a shot over the scoreboard in right field.
The grand slam chased Oakland starter Dan Straily and gave the Orioles a 6-3 lead. It was just the third homer this season for Roberts and his first with bases loaded since Sept. 12, 2009 at the New York Yankees.
- Jason Hammel throws from mound, could get rehab start by midweek
- Cal Ripken Jr. fields questions about a possible managerial future
- Baltimore Sun coverage: Orioles in the 2014 playoffs
- 20 key moments from the Orioles' season [Pictures]
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
The Orioles have now hit four grand slams this season – one each by Roberts, Nate McLouth, Chris Davis and Matt Wieters.
Adam Jones also homered in the sixth-run fourth. It was his 27th homer of the season. Jones now has 93 RBIs.