Brian Roberts, who has never appeared in a playoff game in his lengthy his career, did his part in the fourth inning Friday night to bring a playoff atmosphere to Camden Yards.
Facing the Oakland A’s, whom the Orioles trail by three games for the second AL wild-card berth, Roberts gave his team the lead in the fourth inning with the sixth grand slam of his career, a shot over the scoreboard in right field.
The grand slam chased Oakland starter Dan Straily and gave the Orioles a 6-3 lead. It was just the third homer this season for Roberts and his first with bases loaded since Sept. 12, 2009 at the New York Yankees.
- Jason Hammel throws from mound, could get rehab start by midweek
- Cal Ripken Jr. fields questions about a possible managerial future
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
The Orioles have now hit four grand slams this season – one each by Roberts, Nate McLouth, Chris Davis and Matt Wieters.
Adam Jones also homered in the sixth-run fourth. It was his 27th homer of the season. Jones now has 93 RBIs.