The Orioles will face New York Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia on Friday night instead of right-hander David Phelps, who had previously been listed as the starter.
Sabathia had been listed to pitch Saturday.
Sabathia is 8-5 with a 4.09 ERA in 16 starts this year. In two starts against the Orioles, he’s 1-0 and has allowed six runs (five earned) on 19 hits in 14 1/3 innings. He’s struck out 11 Orioles in the two starts.
- Machado on ejection: 'I have to pay the consequences'
- Manny Machado's 'aptitude' is key, Cal Ripken Jr. says
- Machado ejected after arguing strike [Video]
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
For his career, Sabathia is 17-4 with a 3.12 ERA in 27 career starts against the Orioles. He’s shutout the Orioles twice, and his .810 winning percentage is the second-highest against any team he’s started against at least 10 times. He’s 18-4 against the Chicago White Sox.
This season, the Orioles are batting .273 against left-handed pitchers with 23 home runs and 99 runs scored.
Orioles left-hander T.J. McFarland is still scheduled to make his first career major league start Friday night.
Yankees: Gardner 8, Nix 6, Cano 4, Wells DH, Suzuki 9, Almonte 7, Stewart 2, Adams 3, Gonzalez 5; Sabathia 1
Orioles: Markakis 9, Machado 5, Hardy 6, Jones 8, Davis 3, Wieters 2, Valencia DH, McLouth 7, Casilla 4; McFarland 1