The Orioles are placing second baseman Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list with a right groin strain, manager Buck Showalter said before Tuesday's game against the Mariners.
Roberts was out of the lineup Monday with groin soreness and the Orioles were awaiting results of an MRI up until 90 minutes before game time Tuesday. Since early Tuesday afternoon, Showalter had two lineups written out.
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles home run database
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' 25-man roster for 2014 Opening Day
See more photos »
Roberts, who missed nearly 13 months recovering from multiple concussions, played just 17 games before landing on the DL again. He is hitting .182 with two runs, zero homers and five RBIs.
In placing Roberts on the DL, the Orioles will formally recall outfielder Xavier Avery, who made the cross-country flight from Triple-A Norfolk along with Wednesday's starting pitcher, Chris Tillman. Both were in the Orioles clubhouse prior to the game. Avery was optioned to Norfolk following Saturday's game to make room for right-hander Miguel Gonzalez to give the club's bullpen added depth.