In his first Opening Day start, third baseman Manny Machado will hit out of the No. 2 spot, a place we’ve seen Machado hit over the final week of spring games. With a left-handed hitter, either Nick Markakis or Nate McLouth, leading off tomorrow, it will allow Showalter to flip sides with right-handed hitting Machado.
Since he joined the Orioles last August, Machado has never hit higher than sixth and spent the most games last year hitting eighth, where he batted .346/.507/.853 in 20 games.
- Dylan Bundy shut down with elbow stiffness
- Orioles Insiders predict the 2013 baseball season
- Orioles are in a perfect spot heading into 2013 season
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Steve Pearce, who won the final roster spot this spring, will also be in the lineup, to add a right-handed bat against the left-handed Price. Pearce will likely serve as the team’s designated hitter.
Showalter also said he won’t shy away from starting Nolan Reimold in the field on the Trop’s artificial turf.
Also, the team promoted Einar Diaz to join the major league coaching staff. Diaz, who was originally slated to be a coach at Double-A Bowie, will help hitting coach Jim Presley with his duties. A new rule this season allows a seventh coach to be in the dugout or the bullpen.