The MRI on Orioles third baseman Manny Machado's left knee is scheduled for 1 p.m. in Baltimore, according to a source.
The Orioles won't know anything about the severity of the injury or his future until after they learn the results of the MRI, the source said. He's expected, at the least, to miss the final six games of the season.
Machado injured his knee in the Orioles' 5-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday afternoon. With one out in the top of the seventh inning, the 21-year-old, All-Star third baseman crumpled to the ground after awkwardly hitting first base while beating out an infield single.
- Manny Machado's knee injury [Pictures]
- Orioles Insider: Some thoughts on Machado's injury
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Machado was eventually wheeled out on a stretcher and had an X-ray taken at the stadium before boarding the team plane for Baltimore. Due to a glitch, according to Orioles manager Buck Showalter, the results of the X-ray weren't immediately available Monday.
Machado was hitting .283 with 14 homers, 71 RBIs and an American League-best 51 doubles while starting all 156 games this season. He hasn't missed a game since coming to the major leagues in August 2012.