Pineiro, who was 7-7 with a 5.13 ERA in 27 games (24 starts) with the Los Angeles Angels last year, was released by the Philadelphia Phillies in March after allowing seven hits and five runs (three earned) in six Grapefruit League innings.
- Sports Blitz: What's next in Camden Yards' evolution?
- Andino says spat with Martin a misunderstanding
- Matusz's rough outing just ratchets up the pressure on him
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
See more photos »
“We lost Simon, he was the candidate to be the right-handed long guy,” Duquette said. “And so we needed a long man.”
In a 12-season career, Pineiro is 104-93 with a 4.41 ERA in 335 games. He is 4-2 with a 3.99 ERA in 34 big league games.