Hardy is listed as day-to-day.
"I feel like I probably could have played tonight," Hardy said. "I don’t think we wanted to risk anything to make it get worse. I think it definitely got better with the treatment today. We’ll see tomorrow. I think it’ll be pretty good."
- Orioles notes: O's recall RHP Josh Stinson from Triple-A
- Chen continues to lose steam in later innings
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
See more photos »
Ryan Flaherty, who was slated to be the designated hitter, will start in Hardy’s place and bat eighth. Steve Pearce will be the designated hitter and bat seventh.
Hardy had previously started all but one game this season, and that day off was scheduled. He’s batting .254 with 22 home runs and 66 RBIs in 120 games this season.
Depending on Hardy’s availability, Alexi Casilla and Taylor Teagarden could be the lone bench options for the Orioles.