Orioles third baseman Manny Machado was hit in the left arm by a batted ball during batting practice today and was taken the the trainer’s room.
But manager Buck Showalter said he will play in tonight's game. The Orioles might take a precautionary x-ray, Showalter said, but the team believes Machado is OK.
While taking grounders at third, Machado was struck by a ball hit by Adam Jones. It appeared to hit Machado around the forearm and elbow area.
- Manny Machado [Pictures]
- Ex-Orioles manager DaveTrembley returns to Camden Yards
- As trade deadline nears, would Orioles deal Dylan Bundy?
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
See more photos »
Machado walked off the field and was seen by trainer Brian Ebel. Machado was then taken to the trainer’s room.
Machado has started all 106 games this season.
After he was hit, right fielder Nick Markakis began taking grounders at first base. Ryan Flaherty, who is scheduled to start at first, was also taking grounders at third. The club's everyday first baseman, Chris Davis, is listed as the DH tonight.