The Orioles placed infielder Wilson Betemit on the 15-day disabled list with an injured right wrist before Thursday's series finale against the Boston Red Sox at Camden Yards.
The club recalled first baseman Joe Mahoney from Triple-A Norfolk to fill Betemit's spot on the 25-man roster. He will be available for Thursday's game.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter said an MRI revealed that Betemit had a small cartilage tear in the wrist and a bone bruise. He will report to Sarasota, Fla., on Friday morning but will be shut down for the next week to allow the injury enough time to heal.
- Mahoney making his second stint with O's (with lineups)
- Duquette: Brian Matusz to bullpen is just a temporary move
- Quick pitch or not, Pedro Strop continues to dominate
- Orioles pictures: August
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Betemit hadn't played in a game since Saturday, so he's eligible to come off the DL on Aug. 27. Showalter said he's optimistic Betemit will be ready by then.
The switch-hitting Betemit has been one of the club's best hitters against right-handed pitching, batting.306 against righties. Betemit had become the team's everyday third baseman before the call-up of rookie Manny Machado last week.