A potential deal with outfielder Tyler Colvin has been held up due to concerns the Orioles had about a physical he took last Wednesday, according to an industry source.
No specifics were given as to what questions the Orioles may have had or if the Orioles and Colvin could potentially agree to a lesser deal.
Asked earlier today about any hold up involving Colvin, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said: “We didn’t report anything with Colvin. We never reported anything with Colvin.”
Duquette has never confirmed that a deal was in place with Colvin – or that the club was talking to the 28-year-old outfielder.
However, on Jan. 15, multiple sources said the Orioles had agreed to a major league deal with Colvin pending a physical, which sources said occurred that day in Baltimore.
The Orioles’ silence on the pending deal last week was seemingly strategic -- they never announce deals until a player has passed a physical. However, last month the Orioles took a public relations hit when they pulled out of a two-year agreement with closer Grant Balfour due to health concerns after Balfour took a physical in Baltimore.
Two major league doctors not associated with the Orioles refuted the club's claims that Balfour’s examination – specifically that of his right shoulder – showed any red flags.
Since the Orioles have backed out of deals in the past due to perceived injury concerns, the club was widely criticized in the handling of the Balfour decision.
Citing a source, ESPN.com reported Wednesday that Colvin has been hitting, throwing and working out five days a week in Arizona.
Colvin batted .275 in 67 games in Triple-A and .160 in 78 plate appearances for the Colorado Rockies last season. A 2006 first-round pick of the Chicago Cubs, Colvin had 18 homers in 452 plate appearances with the Rockies in 2012.