Chris Tillman makes his spring debut against the Red Sox
Chris Tillman made his first Grapefruit League start against the Red Sox at Ed Smith Stadium. (J. Meric, Getty Images / February 27, 2013)
- VIDEO Orioles win two more Wednesday
- Orioles spring training 2013 [Pictures]
- Conor Jackson taking advantage of early at-bats in spring training
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Tillman threw 43 pitches, 22 of them for strikes. He labored a bit, but said he was OK with his performance.
“Yeah, first time out, I'm not really disappointed,'' Tillman said. “I felt OK. Command was spotty at best. I guess you kind of expect that the first time out, but other than that I felt pretty good.”
If the mission was to get out there and air it out, it was a successful outing. His velocity topped out at 93 mph.
“You try to work on fastball command early,'' Tillman said. “That's what it's all about the first time out. Mix up my pitches. Fastball, changeup there. Breaking stuff is not where it needs to be right now, but that's typical at this time in spring.”