Markakis saw hand specialist Dr. Brian Schofield before the Orioles’ series opener against the Rays here in Tampa Bay hoping he would get two pins removed from the thumb, but the doctor decided to postpone removing the pins another week.
“It was just crushed too bad in there and I had a lot of pieces here and there,” Markakis said. “Probably on a clean break, they’ve probably come out today, but my situation is a little different.
- Orioles pictures: October
- Which James Shields will the Orioles see tonight?
- 12 reasons why the Orioles might win World Series
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
“They want to keep it in another week and it would probably be in a splint for a week or two after that, so I’m probably still a good three weeks away at minimum.”
So Markakis will likely get the pins out next Monday or Tuesday in Baltimore.
“I didn’t expect them to come out. I was hoping there was a chance they’d come out today but when he told me it was three to four weeks with the severity of the break, it’s better to be on the safe side than the sorry side.”
Markakis was hit on the thumb by a C.C. Sabathia fastball in early September.