Orioles third baseman Manny Machado confirmed on Thursday that he is engaged to be married to girlfriend Yainee Alonso, but he did not say whether a date has been set for the wedding.
Alonso is the sister of one of Machado’s closest friends, San Diego Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso, who played college baseball at the University of Miami. Machado said he and Yainee were brought together by the baseball connection with her brother, but it’s also the result of the close-knit nature of the sports community in Miami.
“That’s the thing about Miami people,’’ he said. “Guys that live in Miami ... I might live in Hialeah and he might be from Key West, but you’re from Miami, so even if we don’t know each other, we know the name and, automatically, it’s like we’ve known each other for years.”
- Manny Machado [Pictures]
- After whirlwind year, Manny Machado feels at home in Orioles clubhouse
- Michael Phelps takes batting practice with Orioles
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Machado said Yonder is almost as excited about the engagement as the happy couple.
“We’re already like brothers,’’ he said.