Shades of Dylan Bundy. Orioles top draft pick Kevin Gausman made his professional debut for the Aberdeen Ironbirds and made it look too easy. Facing the State College Spikes, he retired nine straight batters before giving way to Cameron Coffey to start the fourth.
The former LSU star struck out two of the first three batters he faced, then retired the next six hitters on four fly outs and two ground outs.
Gausman was baseball's fourth pick overall in the June amatuer draft and his contract negotiations went right down to the wire before he agreed to a $4.32 million signing bonus. There was some question about how soon he would take the mound for an Orioles affiliate after throwing 123 2/3 innings for the Tigers, but he obviously was rested and ready to go.
Gausman perfect in pro debut
Orioles top draft pick retires nine straight batters in first appearance for Ironbirds
- Orioles' first-round pick Gausman perfect in IronBirds debut
- Orioles select LSU RHP Kevin Gausman with No. 4 pick in draft
- Orioles sign top draft pick Kevin Gausman
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
See more photos »