Right-hander Miguel Gonzalez returned to the club Friday as a proud new father, showing photos of his baby daughter, Leah, around the Orioles clubhouse.
Gonzalez missed the birth of his daughter, Leah, by five hours Monday night, but seeing his wife and baby that night was an unforgettable experience.
“As soon as I got there, I got the chills,” Gonzalez said. “I got in the room, I gave my wife [Lucia] a big hug and a kiss and congratulated. As soon as I held the baby, it took my breath away. I didn’t sleep much, but it was one of the best feelings ever in my life.”
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles home run database
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' 25-man roster for 2014 Opening Day
See more photos »
While he was away, Gonzalez threw Tuesday and Wednesday with his cousins and brother to stay loose. He is slated to start Saturday.
“That’s going to help for Saturday’s game.” Gonzalez said. “[Being a father] is going to be even more motivation to pitch well. I’m always going to have my wife and daughter’s support 100 percent all the time.”