Orioles right-hander Freddy Garcia is expected to start Wednesday’s afternoon game against San Diego.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Sunday that he hadn’t decided whether to start Garcia or right-hander Jason Hammel on Wednesday. Monday’s off day gave him that luxury.
But the pitchers will remain in order, with Garcia starting Wednesday and Hammel starting Friday against Tampa Bay following another off day on Thursday.
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
- Peter Schmuck's Orioles player predictions
- Orioles FanFest 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Garcia, 36, will get the opportunity to start against the team that released him in spring training. Garcia owns a career 4-2 record and 2.51 ERA in nine career starts against the Padres. Garcia also has a slightly better career ERA in day games (3.84) versus night games (4.32).
Also, Hammel owns a better history against the Rays (1-0, 3.72 in two career starts) versus the Padres (4-2, 5.03 in 12 appearances).