Orioles right-hander Freddy Garcia is expected to start Wednesday’s afternoon game against San Diego.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Sunday that he hadn’t decided whether to start Garcia or right-hander Jason Hammel on Wednesday. Monday’s off day gave him that luxury.
But the pitchers will remain in order, with Garcia starting Wednesday and Hammel starting Friday against Tampa Bay following another off day on Thursday.
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles home run database
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' 25-man roster for 2014 Opening Day
See more photos »
Garcia, 36, will get the opportunity to start against the team that released him in spring training. Garcia owns a career 4-2 record and 2.51 ERA in nine career starts against the Padres. Garcia also has a slightly better career ERA in day games (3.84) versus night games (4.32).
Also, Hammel owns a better history against the Rays (1-0, 3.72 in two career starts) versus the Padres (4-2, 5.03 in 12 appearances).