“The good part about it, and I look in the positive, is that he is 20. He’ll bounce back throwing harder. It seems like now everybody’s going to have it, especially the new generation. But it [stinks]. I know his competitiveness,” Jones said. “I know he wants to play. Just have the surgery, and I hope he takes his time getting back. … He’ll still have a bright future.”
- Dylan Bundy [Pictures]
- Pitchers who have undergone Tommy John surgery [Pictures]
- Showalter, Jones and O'Day discuss Dylan Bundy having surgery
- Orioles first-round draft picks [Pictures]
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
Since he did not spend any time in the majors this season, the Orioles, according to major league rules, would be able to use that fourth option in 2015 or even beyond — but once it is used in one of those seasons, it cannot be used in following years.
The Orioles were hoping to get Bundy back for this year’s pennant push, but Duquette said the impending surgery does not greatly alter the club’s pitching plans.
“It’s unfortunate for Dylan that he had the injury. He’s going to miss time for his career. Fortunately, for the Orioles, we have other pitchers,” Duquette said. “We have some pitching depth. [Surgery] is just the right thing to do at this time. We have other alternatives.”
What is Tommy John surgery?
* Surgery is named after former major league pitcher Tommy John, who underwent the first procedure in 1974.
* It is more formally known as ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction.
* The UCL is located on the inside of the elbow. It connects the bone of the upper arm (humerus) to a bone in the forearm (ulna).
* During the procedure, a surgeon replaces the injured UCL with a tendon taken from somewhere else in the patient’s body.
* Anyone can get a UCL injury from repetitive stress to the elbow or from trauma. But "throwing" athletes have the highest risk, because throwing motions that twist and bend the elbow put extreme stress on the ligament.