Orioles manager Buck Showalter said the club nearly has decided which players will be promoted once rosters expand Monday.
The Orioles undoubtedly will recall right-hander Ryan Webb from Triple-A Norfolk, as well as Steve Clevenger as the third catcher. The team also will add at least one utility infielder, either Jemile Weeks, Steve Lombardozzi or Jimmy Paredes. All three players are on the 40-man roster.
But Showalter doesn’t like to call up too many players right away. Some players will go to Sarasota to work out there in case there’s a need later in the month.
- Manny Machado leaving Orioles for surgery, might not return until postseason
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- O's home openers through the years
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
- Orioles wearing throwback uniforms [Pictures]
See more photos »
After designating infielder Cord Phelps for assignment Sunday to make room for right-hander Miguel Gonzalez, the Orioles’ 40-man roster has 39 players. They can free up another spot by transferring third baseman Manny Machado to the 60-day disabled list.
Showalter said he expects to add at least one nonroster player once rosters expand.
Veteran left-hander Joe Saunders is expected to receive a call-up as a multiple-inning reliever, and outfielder Quintin Berry is another possibility. The team could reward a nonroster minor league player with a September call-up for his performance this season -- first baseman Christian Walker, outfielder Dariel Alvarez or right-hander Tyler Wilson are possibilities.
“I anticipate it, the potential of that,” Showalter said of adding a nonroster player. “They are on the radar. We’ve met about it a couple times already.”
Around the horn
The Orioles are expecting traffic to be heavier than normal in the next few weeks because of the grand opening of the Horseshoe Casino Baltimore on Tuesday. The club will communicate with fans about any potential problems, Orioles vice president of communications and marketing Greg Bader said last week. … The Orioles’ one-hit effort Sunday in Chicago was the second time this season that they had just one hit. It also happened Aug. 6 in Toronto, marking the first season they have had two games of one hit or fewer since 1991. … First baseman Steve Pearce tied a career high by hitting successfully in his eighth straight game Monday. Through Sunday, he was batting .333 (10-for-30) with eight extra-base hits (five doubles, three homers) since the beginning of his streak. Pearce had two hits in his first three at-bats Monday, including a solo home run in the third inning. … When Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman, who started Monday, won his last start Aug. 19, he became the club’s first pitcher to post consecutive seasons of 10 or more wins since right-hander Jeremy Guthrie won 10 or more in three straight seasons from 2008-10. … Triple-A Norfolk manager Ron Johnson and pitching coach Mike Griffin likely will join the Orioles when they return from their road trip to Tampa Bay and Boston next month. … Vice Adm. Walter “Ted” Carter Jr., the new superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy, threw out the ceremonial first pitch Monday. …Norfolk right-hander Mike Wright, who came one strike away from throwing a no-hitter Thursday at Durham, was named the International League Pitcher of the Week. … High-A Frederick left-hander Steven Brault was named the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week. He threw six shutout innings last Thursday at Carolina, allowing just two base runners.