The Orioles are optimistic that Wieters, who is on the disabled list with right elbow discomfort, can return this season and avoid surgery, but Showalter said, even in the best-case scenario, he wouldn’t expect Wieters to return within the next two weeks.
“I’m not going to go into timeframes right now,” Showalter said. “I would say that’s doubtful, but I’ve learned to never doubt somebody like Matt. … I’ve seen the throwing program they have him on, which is basically the longest-possible [timeframe]. I figure we have about four weeks before we have to come to the basket.
- Nick Markakis serves as DH on Sunday vs. Astros, Tommy Hunter won't make DL date and more
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
- Orioles wearing throwback uniforms [Pictures]
See more photos »
Since Wieters went on the disabled list on May 11, the club saw July 1 as the target date to decide whether he would need surgery or not.