The Orioles couldn’t have asked more from Jake Arrieta in his first Opening Day start.
The 26-year-old right-hander allowed just two hits and two walks while striking out four batters in seven scoreless innings.
Only two runners reached second base against Arrieta – and both were with two outs.
- Baltimore Sun coverage: Orioles in the 2014 playoffs
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- 20 key moments from the Orioles' season [Pictures]
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
See more photos »
He threw 97 pitches, 60 of them for strikes. He consistently hit in the mid-90s with his fastball and his slider was particularly sharp.
Matt Lindstrom is in to pitch the eighth, making his Orioles’ debut.