Steve Johnson pitched two innings in his major league debut Sunday against the Detroit Tigers and then was sent back to Triple-A Norfolk to make room for Monday’s starter, Chris Tillman, on the 25-man roster.
Johnson, a St. Paul’s graduate and the Orioles' first Maryland-born pitcher since John Bale in 2001, was activated Sunday when starting pitcher Jason Hammel was put on the disabled list.
Johnson, the son of former Oriole pitcher and MASN broadcaster Dave Johnson, walked the first two batters he faced, but settled down after that. He struck out his last two batters in the eighth and gave up just one hit – a home run by Miguel Cabrera in the ninth.
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles home run database
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' 25-man roster for 2014 Opening Day
See more photos »