The Orioles are facing reigning Cy Young Award winner David Price tonight at Camden Yards in the opener of a three-game series with the Tampa Bay Rays, and the left-hander will be facing a slightly different Orioles lineup.
Brian Roberts, who has led off once this season, is batting first. Nick Markakis, the normal leadoff hitter when Nate McLouth is sitting against tough lefties, is batting seventh.
It's just the seventh time Markakis has started a game batting seventh in his career -- the last time was May 6, 2007, his second year in the majors.
- Orioles in August [Pictures]
- Brian Roberts on hot streak: 'This is what I've been waiting for'
- Jason Hammel to throw off flat ground Monday, Wednesday
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- 35th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids [Pictures]
- Major League Baseball's winter meetings [Pictures]
See more photos »
Roberts has led off just once in 2013 -- when he went 0-for-4 against the Toronto Blue Jays on July 12.
Right-handed hitting Danny Valencia, who was called up earlier today (to replace Josh Stinson on the 25-man roster), is batting eighth and serving as the designated hitter.
J.J. Hardy, who missed two games with back spasms, is back at shortstop.
Orioles lineup: Roberts 2B, Machado 3B, Davis 1B, Jones CF, Wieters C, Hardy SS, Markakis RF, Valencia DH, Pearce LF. Tillman RHP.
Rays lineup: Jennings CF, Zobrist 2B, Longoria 3B, Myers RF, Loney 1B, Escobar SS, Joyce LF, Molina C, Johnson DH. Price LHP.